Potato Surprise is the perfect side dish and can even be the main meal. Once you try this recipe, you will be wanting to make it again and again!!
This is one of those recipes that you can easily tweak to make it your own. By adding different meats and cheeses, or using different kinds of potato, you can create an excellent side dish that your family will love.
Meat and Dry Rub was provided by Lobel’s of New York:
Surprise Potatoes Recipe (Feeds 12)
5 pounds potatoes (use your favorite type of potato)
1 Can (14.5 oz) Cream of Mushroom Soup
1 Can (14.5 oz) Cream of Chicken Soup
1 Cup Sour Cream
1/4 Cup of Lobel’s Dry Rub (or your favorite BBQ Rub)
1/8 Cup Garlic Powder
2 Cups Cheddar Cheese (reserve 1/2 cup for topping)
1/8 Cup Paprika (or top casserole with more BBQ Rub)
1 Pound of leftover BBQ meat (Pulled Pork, Brisket, Chicken, Turkey, Sausage, etc.)
Salt & Black Pepper to taste
1) Boil potatoes until fork tender. (20-40 mins depending on size)
2) Drain cooked potatoes and place into a mixing bowl. Break up potatoes or mash them to the consistency that you like.
3) Add both soups, sour cream, BBQ Rub, Garlic Powder, Cheese, and meat to the potatoes. Mix thoroughly.
4) Scoop mixture into a baking dish and smooth out the top. Add remaining cheese and paprika (or more BBQ Rub) as a topping for the casserole.
5) Cover loosely with tin foil and bake at 225F for 1 1/2 or until all of the cheese is melted. Enjoy!!!
You can place the potato mixture into a large foil pan and cook it on your bbq pit or smoker to add some smoke flavor. Cook for the same amount of time at 225F if cooking on your outdoor cooker.
Follow T-Roy Cooks:
Kevin MacLeod (incompetech.com)
Licensed under Creative Commons: By Attribution 3.0