Veg Momos, Steamed Momos, Chinese Veg Dim Sum Recipe by Tarla Dalal
Recipe Link : http://www.tarladalal.com/Momos-22253r
Tarla Dalal’s Social Media Links
Tarla Dalal’s Recipes, Health and Food Articles Website | https://www.tarladalal.com
Subscribe to Tarla Dalal’s YouTube Channel | https://goo.gl/h7JMA1
Follow Tarla Dalal on Instagram | https://www.instagram.com/tarladalal/
Like Facebook | https://goo.gl/mdcqLb
Get fab food images on Pinterest | http://www.pinterest.com/tarladalal/
Get Tarla Dalal IOS App | https://goo.gl/8jwErB
Get Tarla Dalal Android App | https://goo.gl/zxr56A
Join Tarla Dalal’s Google Plus | https://goo.gl/VbtwXZ
Twitter | https://twitter.com/Tarla_Dalal
A snack that has become almost synonymous with oriental cuisine, Momos are made of a plain flour cover filled with sautéed veggies. An apt combination of garlic, ginger, green chillies and Schezuan sauce flavours the vegetable mixture, and the outcome is simply tongue-tickling! Traditionally, Momos are steamed in bamboo baskets, but you can also cook them in a regular Steamer or cooker, the way you make dhoklas or idlis. You can innovate on this recipe by adding other veggies or bean sprouts to the filling, but make sure you choose colourful, juicy and crisp veggies to achieve the right appearance and to get the mild crunch that makes Momos so enjoyable! Serve along with Vegetable Chow Mein and Chinese Fried Rice .
Preparation Time: 20 minutes.
Cooking Time: 26 minutes.
Makes 14 momos.
½ cup plain flour (maida)
Salt to taste
5 tsp oil
2 tsp finely chopped garlic (lehsun)
2 tsp finely chopped ginger (adrak)
2 tsp finely chopped green chillies
½ cup finely chopped onions
½ cup finely chopped carrot
½ cup finely chopped french beans
½ cup finely chopped cabbage
Salt to taste
2 tsp Schezuan sauce
½ tsp sugar
Plain flour (maida) for rolling
chilli garlic (lehsun) sauce
1. Combine the plain flour, 1 tsp of oil and salt in a deep bowl and knead into a soft dough using enough water.
2. Cover the dough with a wet muslin cloth or lid and keep aside for 10 minutes.
3. Heat the remaining 4 tsp of oil in a broad non-stick pan, add the garlic, ginger and green chillies and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
4. Add the onions, carrot, French beans and cabbage and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for another 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
5. Add the Schezwan sauce and sugar, mix well and cook on a medium flame for a few seconds. Keep aside.
6. Divide the dough into 14 equal portions.
7. Roll a portion of the dough into a 75 mm. (3”) diameter thin circle using a little plain flour for rolling and place 1 tbsp of the prepared filling in the centre of the circle.
8. Hold it on your palms, fold the two sides and pinch them as shown in the image.
9. Fold the other open side and pinch it again so as to form a triangle as shown in the image.
10. Repeat step 7 to 9 to make 13 more momos.
11. Steam 7 momos in a greased steamer for 8 minutes or till they are cooked.
12. Repeat step 11 to steam the remaining 7 momos in 1 more batch.
13. Serve immediately with soya sauce and chilli garlic sauce.